(In chronogical order, starting from the bottom)
28 December 2004 (Macau)
- Made a few changes to larks.
5 December 2004 (Beijing)
30 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Fixed up some faulty menu items.
24 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Fixed up table of species split from Otus bakkamoena (Strigidae).
6 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Finished revising Bird names. Chinese common names now take the Zheng Guangmei list as standard rather than the older Cheng Tso-Hsin list.
- Added missing Japanese common names taking Japanese Wikipedia as the source. Japanese Wikipedia has bird lists for Japan, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, and elsewhere.
- Fixed a few errors as well. As I have thought many times before, the glossary is now 'complete'.
5 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Continued revising Chinese bird names with Zheng Guangmei's world list of birds as standard.
4 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Continued converting bird names to ZGM as standard Chinese name.
3 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Continued converting to ZGM as the source of standard Chinese names.
2 November 2004 (Beijing)
- More pages changed to take ZGM as standard. A few minor corrections to format.
- Added Howard & Moore 2003 to Sources (at long last). Also added a note at the Main Page and the Sources page indicating the ongoing changeover from Cheng to ZGM as the source of standard Chinese common names.
1 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Continued modifying Bird Names to take the ZGM list as standard for Chinese names. A few errors corrected.
31 October 2004 (Beijing)
- Started modifying Bird Names to make Zheng Guangmei's world list of birds (4) standard for Chinese common names. Until now I have used Cheng Tso-hsin's list as the standard but splits cause problems. Zheng Guangmei's list solves most of these, although in some cases it has its own innovations. At the same time, I have again corrected a number of errors. Pages taking ZGM as standard are marked as such in the explanation above each table.
30 October 2004 (Beijing)
- Finished updating to incorporate information from Howard & Moore 2003. This mainly involved changing the English common names, but some information on species splits, new species etc. has been added and a few errors corrected.
23 October 2004 (Beijing)
- Updated kingfishers (alcedin and ceryle) to conform with Howard-Moore 2003.
8 October 2004 (Beijing)
- At the same time, updated much of the Bird Names to confirm with Howard-Moore 2003, corrected some errors, and edited a few passages.
- Removed deep links to Mike Danzenbaker's site of bird photos at Mike's request.
21 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Made a few corrections to Phylloscopus in the Acrocephalinae (Warblers).
9 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Added further photo links for Sylviinae.
8 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Added photo links for Cinclidae, Malaconotinae, and some of Sylviinae. Corrected some errors and layout.
23 August 2004 (Macau)
- Improved navigation so that returning to the home page from the Passerines will return you to the passerine section of the index.
- Linked to photos of the Estrildinae (munias, mannikins, etc.), Ploceinae (weavers), Prunellinae (accentors) and Pittidae (pittas) on the Internet. Fixed up a few small errors.
20 August 2004 (Macau)
- Linked to photos of Emberizinae (buntings) on the web.
18 August 2004 (Macau)
- Added links to publicly-available photos of the Eurylaimidae (broadbills) and Sturnidae (starlings, mynas, etc.)
17 August 2004 (Macau)
28 July 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added links to photos on the web for Nectariniidae (sunbirds) and corrected some errors in the section.
26 July 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added links to photos of kingfishers.
23 July 2004 (Qionghai)
- Revised Pycnonotidae (bulbuls) to reflect Howard & Moore 2003.
- Added links to photos of Caprimulgidae (nightjars), Laniidae (shrikes), and Psittaculidae (parrots) on the Internet. Also fixed up leftover table and navigation problem in Scolopacidae.
- Replaced an offending 'beak' with the more acceptable 'bill' at a few places.
22 July 2004 (Qionghai)
- Revised Sylviinae (babblers, etc.) to reflect Howard & Moore 2003 and fixed up a couple of errors.
- Added links to photos of Paridae (tits), Falconidae (falcons), and Pycnonotidae (bulbuls) on the web.
21 July 2004 (Qionghai)
20 July 2004 (Qionghai)
- Tentatively revised the Alaudidae (larks) based on Howard & Moore 2003. Given that the Alaudidae are somewhat confused, more clarification may be needed.
- Added links to photos of Alcinae (auks, murrelets, puffins, etc) and Apodidae (swifts), Corvidae (crows), Pardalotidae (Yellow-bellied gerygone is the only representative in Asia), and Phalacrocoracidae (cormorants).
19 July 2004 (Qionghai)
I am finally starting to update the site again after a month of dramatic life-changes. The first order at the moment is to revise the Bird List to reflect the latest Howard and Moore checklist of birds of the world, published in 2003, which I recently got hold of.
- Revised Phasianidae, Podicipedidae, Sulidae, Threskiornithidae, Ciconiidae, Phalacrocoracidae, and Megalaimidae in the light of Howard and Moore 2003.
23 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Split the 2 overlong Tringinae pages into 4 shorter pages.
21 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added photo links to Hirundinidae (swallows), Anatidae (ducks), and a few others (leafbirds, longtailed tits, etc.)
18 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Cleaned up the mess after adding links.
17 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added links to Tzung-Su Ding's site on the distribution range of breeding bird species in East Asia (site no longer extant).
16 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added more links to photos of birds (Sylviinae, etc).
15 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added additional links to photos of birds (plovers and many more)
14 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added external links to bird photos on the net (whistling ducks, woodpeckers, rails, gulls, nuthatches, etc).
10 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- The revision of bird names based on the Atlas of Birds of China has been completed and a few more random errors corrected.
9 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- The revision of bird names based on the Atlas of Birds of China is almost complete. Mainly finches to go.
8 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Further considerable revision of bird names based on the Atlas of Birds of China.
7 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Further changes to the bird list based on the Atlas of Birds of China.
6 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Revisions to woodpeckers based on the Atlas of Birds of China.
4 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Further revisions based on the Atlas of Birds of China.
3 June 2004 (Qionghai)
Thanks to prompt action by my host, Unicode and other encodings are now rendering correctly. Now I just have to wait for Google to notice and relist the relevant pages in the index!
- Identification of names used in the Atlas of Birds of China for the Laridae and others.
2 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added more photo links for the Phasianidae.
- Discovered that my web host no longer appears to support Unicode, Chinese, or Japanese encodings following migration to a new system in May. All pages containing Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese script have been reduced to gibberish (excepting, of course, those pages using graphics). Pages affected include the index to Birds (Chinese simplified, Chinese traditional, Japanese, Vietnamese). I am hoping that my web host can fix the problem; otherwise I will have to look for a new one. Am still waiting for a response from them.
1 June 2004 (Qionghai)
- Continued revising bird lists to show names used in the Atlas of Birds of China.
31 May 2004 (Qionghai)
Back in China after a month home in Australia. Finally have a scanner, bought in Hong Kong on the way.
- Added photos of covers of books used as sources for Bird Names, my first use of the new scanner.
- Began adding information on Chinese bird names used in the Atlas of Birds of China where different from those used by Cheng Tso Hsin. (I originally left the book in Australia three years ago, believing it to be out of date and non-mainstream. I have since found that many variants used in the book actually have fairly wide usage.)
- Added a few links to bird photos in Phasianidae.
19 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Altered the index page to make it easier to consult (English has been put in a separate column from Latin family names).
18 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- The update based on Zheng Guangmei's world list of Chinese bird names is virtually complete. (There is always a risk that these are 'famous last words'. A few hours/days/weeks/months after each update I find omissions and horrendous mistakes. Still, the first draft of the update is complete.)
17 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Unfinished business with the Cuculidae (cuckoos). Added alternative Chinese names etc.; split the page in two (with navigation frame).
- Split wagtails/pipits into two pages, also crakes/rails. Fixed up mistakes in woodpeckers.
16 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Some additions to and rewriting of the notes on bird names in CJV, corrections to Columbidae (pigeons and doves).
15 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- After Dreamweaver again chewed up the GB Chinese homepage for Bird Names in Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese, I redid it along with the other three versions. Fixed up a few errors.
14 April 2004 (Qionghai)
I open the bird lists with great trepidation nowadays for fear of finding more unforgiveable errors. To the people who rely on them for accurate information (and there seem to be more and more of them), I offer my abject apologies. With this going-through, they are finally turning into something to be placed in public view with confidence. But a lot of small things need to be fixed before the glossary will be totally reliable, transparent, and easy to use.
- More additions and corrections to birds. Added Honeyeaters (now classed with Zosteropidae), which I had inadvertantly omitted (represented in East Asia by one species, the highly endangered Bonin Island honeyeater/Bonin white-eye).
13 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Further updates and corrections.
12 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Continued to update and correct the bird glossary based on Zheng Guangmei's list.
10 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added Chinese names for starlings and kingfishers (all three families) from Zheng Guangmei's world list of birds.
9 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added more popular Chinese names to sparrows, laughing thrushes, drongos, woodpeckers, etc. from old material that I had downloaded but not used.
5 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Updated Strigidae (owls) in Bird names
3 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Continued the update of Bird Names based on Zheng Guangmei's list of world bird names.
2 April 2004 (Qionghai)
- Started updating to include Chinese names from Zheng Guangmei's list of world bird names, which I have finally got hold of (ordered from Beijing). Found and corrected a depressing number of careless errors in the lists.
25 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added a few alternative Vietnamese names to the bird glossary.
23 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- Corrected error in Nuthatches.
10 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- Added more Japanese birds recorded in A Field Guide to Birds of Japan as 'new additions' (mostly dating from the 1980s or 90s).
5 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- More updating of bird list to include names found in a small Vietnamese book, bought in December 2003, on keeping birds (see Sources) and relatively recent additions to Japanese sightings which were omitted in my original list. Plus correction of miscellanous errors, etc. Not much left to go!
4 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- Additional work to update and correct information in the CJV Bird Names list, based on Birds of Hong Kong and South China.
2 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- A few changes made to the bird list, including Sources.
1 March 2004 (Qionghai)
- Further updates to the bird list based on Birds of Hong Kong and South China.
29 February 2004 (Qionghai)
- More work on the bird list to include material from Birds of Hong Kong and South China.
28 February 2004 (Qionghai)
- More work on the bird list, including correction of a major error in Frigate birds. Also added Birds of Hong Kong and South China to the sources page.
27 February 2004 (Qionghai)
- I've started updating the bird list to include additional information (mainly English common names) from the Chinese version of Birds of Hong Kong and South China (Viney), which I finally managed to get hold of in Hong Kong. In the course of this I've discovered more errors (shudder). The updates will be added gradually, as they are completed. I'm now up to the storm petrels (following the order in the book).
24 December 2003 (Qionghai)
- Created link from the Chinese Writing System to 'wren babblers'. Partially rewrote notes on wren babblers.
- Fixed longstanding error in links from Sittidae. Partially rewrote section on nuthatches. Also fixed up some missing links between subfamilies and families in Fringillidae, Sylviidae, and Laridae.
- Added some photo links to Accipitrinae.
23 December 2003 (Qionghai)
- Added a few photo links for sparrows, bulbuls, sibias, etc., plus correction to Japanese name of Long-tailed sibia. Made slight changes to pheasants.
22 December 2003 (Qionghai)
- Added some links to photos for species of pheasants.
21 December 2003 (Qionghai)
- Corrected an error whereby the index at Birds had been incorrectly replaced with the general CJV home page (one of those inexplicable mistakes that sometimes occur).
Oct, Nov, Dec 2003:
The main changes during these three months have been:
- Section on Bird names has been given a new look, expanding the pink colour scheme. Mistakes in some sections (notably sunbirds and woodpeckers) have been corrected and some sections partially rewritten. I've also begun providing links to photos of individual species (in progress).
世界鸟类分类与分布名录 主编：郑光美 科学出版社 北京 2002年
A Checklist on the Classification and Distribution of the Birds of the World Chief editor: Zheng Guangmei, Science Press, Beijing 2002